Feeder insects?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratigan

I've read a few rat diet pages that mention "no wild insects". That makes me wonder if rats can be fed domestically bred insects? I have reptiles and arachnids. I keep a breeding colony of discoid roaches (similar to dubia roaches). I control their conditions and what they are fed.

I also buy crickets and various worms, but I wouldn't feed those to a rat since they come from outside farms and I don't know what parasites they might carry.

Would rats eat the roaches, and would they be good for the rats?

There is absolutely no reason to feed rats insects.

- Rats need low protein and all dead animals are sources of protein, including insects.
If you are feeding dead insects then you could be feeding other types of dead animals .... although high protein will cause organ damage etc in rats.

- Insects may also contain diseases, chemicals and other things toxic to rats.

- and as someone who rescues rats, and has been rescuing rats for over 10 years, I can tell you that using any animals for "feeders" is absolutely wrong ..... whether it is rats or insects or kittens or rabbits or any other animals.

This topic has come up several times over the years and if you do a search you can read the threads and the responses.

This is a rescue forum and I personally find both the title and content of this thread to be extremely offensive. I do not believe this is the place to discuss feeding animals to other animals.

Edit: My rats get their protein and nutrients solely from plant sources (and blocks made from plant sources).... they are healthy
........... rescuing rats opened my eyes regarding animal cruelty and the negative health impact of consuming animal products ... so I followed the example of some experienced and highly regarded members of this forum and made some changes to the diet of my rats and myself.
There is absolutely no need to feed rats any animals

btw, I am not a moderator and I can only speak on behalf of myself (not on behalf of this forum or other members)

Last edited:
- Rats need low protein and all dead animals are sources of protein, including insects.
- and as someone who rescues rats, and has been rescuing rats for over 10 years, I can tell you that using any animals for "feeders" is absolutely wrong ..... whether it is rats or insects or kittens or rabbits or any other animals.

I'm just wondering where you came up with "dead insects". The OP said nothing about dead insects...

And just for clarity: what about wild animals eating other wild animals or are you only referring to the situations when there are animals in captivity?

Also, most reptiles are meat eaters. If they do not eat eat from insects or small animals, they will not survive.

Sorry the topic is offensive to you, though.

I've read a few rat diet pages that mention "no wild insects". That makes me wonder if rats can be fed domestically bred insects? I have reptiles and arachnids. I keep a breeding colony of discoid roaches (similar to dubia roaches). I control their conditions and what they are fed.

I also buy crickets and various worms, but I wouldn't feed those to a rat since they come from outside farms and I don't know what parasites they might carry.

Would rats eat the roaches, and would they be good for the rats?

I've tried to feed my ratties crickets and mealworms. Though they don't like they very much.

I've read numerous forums and they all (expect this one) seem to agree that the occasional treat of crickets and mealworms (or superworms) is okay.

I totally agree with SQ. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to feed insects to PET rats.
But if you feel you must, then be very careful with the high protein and also where the insects come from.

If this is directed towards me, did you see that I used the word "occasional"?

If not, then I still see no reason why the OCCASIONAL treat of crickets/mealworms would do harm. It's like the occasional treat of chocolate or pasta.

If this is directed towards me, did you see that I used the word "occasional"?

If not, then I still see no reason why the OCCASIONAL treat of crickets/mealworms would do harm. It's like the occasional treat of chocolate or pasta.

That was directed to anyone reading. As for the occasional pasta and chocolate... I don't do that either.

That was directed to anyone reading. As for the occasional pasta and chocolate... I don't do that either.

Neither do I.
Rats fed a healthy diet live longer, better quality lives
and neither of those items are healthy.

Rats should never be fed chocolate, unless it is a tiny piece of dark chocolate given in an emergency to try to keep an airway open until you can get the rat to a vet

and it is best to feed as little processed food as possible (see stickied under diet for rats)

Back