Overcrowded rats being sold as pets or feeders in Williamsport Pennsylvania :-(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattymouse

This ad was shared to me by a few people on Facebook. It shows overcrowded rats being sold as feeders or pets, with photos of them in poor conditions. A stop needs to be put to this ad poster and they need to be reported to the SPCA! In the meanwhile here is the ad if anyone can help rescue some of the poor rats :-(

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/pet/4642050504.html

FEEDER RODENTS (Williamsport )

wiliamsportpennsylvaniaratsbadcraigslistadseptember2014_004-220.jpg

Rats are about 2 months old. Dumbo, Rex, and hairless. Can be used as feeders or pets. $3 a piece, except hairless are $5 a piece.

Mice are medium, and adult size. Different colors. $2 a piece. Feeders or pets.

African soft fur rats. Medium $3 and large $4
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 4642050504
posted: 10 days ago
updated: a day ago
email to friend
♥ best of [?]

wiliamsportpennsylvaniaratsbadcraigslistadseptember2014_003-221.jpg

wiliamsportpennsylvaniaratsbadcraigslistadseptember2014_002-222.jpg

wiliamsportpennsylvaniaratsbadcraigslistadseptember2014_001-223.jpg

Thankfully Andrea Greye is going to be taking these rats into her rescue in PA. The lady who was breeding them is closing down, so at least there wont be anymore rats bred by the ad poster. :)

OMG! I've lived with my babies for 10 yrs now and never seen anything like that. Didn't that place ever get inspected? I only buy from petsmrt orpetco. Even tho they know me i still have to sign a document stating they wont be feeders. They make a strong effort to prevent that. I pray they all went to happy homes.

The PetCo I got my 2 rats from in MO DOES sell feeders. Actually the vast majority went as 'feeder rats' I worked there for a shrot time and it broke my heart. I actually would refuse to get them out if they were feeders and told people about frozen instead. But most people were redneck hillbillies who got thrills from watching their snake kill an animal. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

You had to sign a paper either they were pets & you signed that paper or they were feeders and you signed a release of liability. :(

Altho both are horrible at least the frozen are deceased and aren't conscious when they are eaten.

Am really glad the rats in this post found homes.

No offense to anyone who is a breeder on here, but I rescue dogs/cats and it is disgusting how little most breeders care about the animals. Just like in this situation, how can you breed rats just to sell them as snake food? Do people have that little of compassion?

This is a rescue forum, so don't worry about offending anyone on here as breeding is not supported.

Best to get rats from rescues, shelters or people rehoming rats ....
when you buy rats (which most of us have done at some point, usually when we were new to rats) you are supporting what they are doing, helping to create demand and encouraging them to breed more rats

So glad the ratties were saved and will have good lives

Back