Fun toys and other stimulating activities.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gave Wembley and Gobo their first Kleenex box yesterday. They were quite confused at first, and I had to show them that they can pull the tissue out of the box. They were not sure what to make of it, but together we pulled most of it out of the box, Gobo seemed to enjoy this activity much more. They dont seem to be too interested in doing much but wrestling in the kleenex. Its so adorable to watch them figure out new things.

I just cleaned the boys cage and decided that I should make them a new toy. I used string, a large yarn needle, cut up foam, and CHEERIOS! Here are some photos I managed to snap before Wembley and Gobo made quick work of the new toys.

523849_3720528145900_1621435445_n.jpg

one of two that I made, SO EASY!

314195_3720527505884_588815567_n.jpg

487990_3720527825892_586730265_n.jpg

Once they realized what these were, the devoured them!

i agree, it definitely keeps them busy! but not for very long. you could make it with anything too. im trying to make some more now and somehow make them more complex so the boys have to work harder to get the cheerios.

Something I like to give to Pickle is a loosely closed plastic easter egg with a treat in it. He really likes figuring out how to open it. Though, I do not give them to Pres anymore, because he just chews his way into them... Never have I seen him eat the plastic, but I won't be risking it! So probably not good for chronic chewers.

Pickle also really likes when I tie cloth around the bars of his cage. I still have not figured out how he's learned to UNTIE KNOTS... but he seems to enjoy it! It has taught me that hammocks are not his thing, and that he'd just prefer to untie them than sleep in them, LOL.

LOVE the Cheerio toy. Finally have something to do with all of these foam scraps laying around! I knew I hoarded things like this for a reason...

I have a tissue box inside of their free range area just in case I see them pee on the tile and I can wipe it up before it dries and they love to run away with them! The only thing is that they try and EAT it! Is that normal, should I still let them take them? Or is it some kind of thing with hamsters where they store it in their cheeks?

Get a toilet paper or paper towel roll (depends on how many rats you have) fold up one end fill it with their favourite treats close up the other end, they have to chew through the cardboard to get to it. After a while its no longer fun to them because they open it as soon as you put it in.

I'm bored as bored can be and trying to find toys I can make for my future ratties while I wait for the cage to come in and the rescue group to get back to me. Any ideas what I can make? I'd make liners or "hammocks" but I don't have the cage yet so I don't want to do that... But I have:
some wood
A dried and hollowed gourd
An unprinted bird house(cabin)
Ribbon/string
Felt cutouts
Unused tile and bricks
A ton of ceramic Xmas tree light bulbs
fluffy puff balls
Acrylic paint out the wazoo
Etc....

I gave my boys their first tissue box today and watched them go to town for over an hour destroying the tissues they managed to pull out of it. Their cage looks like Christmas!

Two of them retreated to the upper levels and passed out on the fleece but the third is sleeping, one leg rested up and on the bar, in a giant pile of shredded tissues. It's positively adorable.

Back