Neuter prices in GTA/southern ON

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidget

I have a lone male rat that does not get along with other males. Also he is weird with me too and I feel bad that I never handle him because I don't trust him. I never really considered neutering him because of the prices here ($350 I think) but I just read a few posts of some vets doing it for $100, $160 etc. I thought since this is probably a common question, maybe people could post who they go to and how much it costs?

Unfortunately, $350 is probably more accurate for the GTA than $100-160. I think it would be best for you to call clinics in your area for quotes.

It's a bit outside of GTA, but Yorkwood Veterinary Clinic in Keswick does inexpensive neuters - $78 including tax, but not including pain meds to take home, nor antibiotics, so that is a bit more.

The vet that has been doing neuters for me since last summer is Dr. Abdelmalek, but he is not experienced with treating rats for anything else. Dr. Manley was on maternity leave and she is back this Thursday and she has a bit more experience with rats (as well as neuter surgeries). The clinic staff are very friendly.

Also if you ask for pain meds to take home (metacam) I think their prescribed doses are way too low, and the Baytril was in a weird concentration - 10 mg/ml so I had to specifically request that they adjust upwards (this was Dr. Abdemalek) but I didn't have this experience when I brought a rat to Dr. Manley for antibiotics for a URI.

Back