Emergency! What to do.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the only emergencies I've encountered are breathing, bleeding, or seizing. (if I forgot something I'll add it later)
Breathing - Two different breathing troubles - Respiratory issues or choking. They sound & react much differently between the 2. With experience you know the difference right away, but if you don't - Check their mouth to be sure nothing is caught in their throat., if something is pull it out gently.
If nothing is there and they are noisy then they need to see the vet to get antibiotics at best or heart meds at worst. In the meantime, a chocolate chip might ease the breathing for a bit, but it won't cure the problem longterm. If they are not just a little noisy but gasping for air you can give them a shot of your inhaler if you have one, take them in the bathroom, sit on the toilet with them and turn on the hot water full blast for steam..if that doesn't do it they need an emergency vet.
Bleeding. Mild external try baking soda on it, if that doesn't work try Crazy Glue, if it's bigger than either of those kid needs a vet. If it's internal kid needs a vet.
Seizing Stay with them to make sure they can't fall or injure themselves. Best to see a vet now but if you can't afford it wait to see if it happens again..

oh hell, I went to the trouble of composing that before I knew I shouldn't. Not gonna erase it.

Back