Best Vet near Barrie, ON?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatRatGirl

Hello Everyone!

I need to get my Rattie to a Vet and I was wondering what the best Vet around the Barrie, On area would be?

I know there is one really good one in Toronto but I heard his prices are a bit steep.

Does anyone know any good vets in the Barrie area that preform proper euthanization on rats and their prices are resonable enough?

As far as euthanasia goes, Legallais Vet Clinic in Aurora is where I take my rats, and they do the euthanasia for my rats the way I request it (iso gas in a cone first then injection). I know it's not Barrie but I asked before about Barrie vets and the answer was very negative about the vets there as far as rat goes.

http://legallaisvet.com/about-us/location/

Alex said:
As far as euthanasia goes, Legallais Vet Clinic in Aurora is where I take my rats, and they do the euthanasia for my rats the way I request it (iso gas in a cone first then injection). I know it's not Barrie but I asked before about Barrie vets and the answer was very negative about the vets there as far as rat goes.

Okay Thankyou! Would you say their prices are fair?

ThatRatGirl said:
Okay Thankyou! Would you say their prices are fair?

For rat euthanasia, yes definitely. I can't remember how much because every time I went for that reason I was out of my mind, but I remember looking at my credit card charge after and thinking it was very reasonable.

I just saw your other posts on your rat, I didn't realize the situation was so urgent. If your rat is suffering, and the clinic doesn't know you, if you say he is suffering they may be able to slot you in anyways, as an emergency. They will do that for me sometimes but you HAVE to say how urgent it is, otherwise I know they are busy and will just book you in on the "next available" which could be 2 days from now. It seems the original thread about your rat's issue started a few days ago so I hope you call asap. :(

Alex said:

Alex, please don't send people to Legallais for any exotics. All 4 vets are clueless if your animal in not a cat or dog.....trust me on this one. The Iso gas in a cone first doesn't happen as I know for fact they do NOT have any exotic equipment at this clinic. They take your rats to the back room (where your not allowed to go) and direct you upstairs to wait. I'm not saying they're a bad clinic, just a clinic that doesn't deal with exotics of any kind, including rats. The price there is right (cheap cheap cheap) but a lot of time you get what you pay for. You live in King City, go to Kingsdale. Ya I know, the prices are through the roof, but when it comes to exotics, both thoses vets are very qualified, not to mention the male vet is like a hundred years old and has been doing this........well........4 EVER!

Oh, it's interesting to talk to somebody else who has been there. I agree they don't know enough about treating rats, but they definitely do the euth right for me (at my request) - iso cone and injection afterwards. I've been going there for rat euthanasia for awhile now and I can guarantee that is what they did with my rats (although I can't vouch for others). When were you last there for euthanasia?

I don't usually go there for treatment unless I know exactly what I want and it's not complicated - ie antibiotics, and I know the doseage, etc. I wouldn't go for anything out of the ordinary where you need more rat expertise though.

Also, Dr. Nora, while still not having that much experience with rats, is open and willing to communicate and research if you request something and know what you are talking about. Mind you, I have been going to that clinic for a few years now with my cats so I had a prior relationship which might help. She has also gone above and beyond for me before and I think she really cares. She is the vet I would recommend there if you have to go, but both she and Dr. Doug do my euthanasia the right way. I can't remember if Dr. Jackie has done my rat euthanasia before or not.

Good to know that Kingswood knows about rats, I had no idea. Ironic though bc the old guy was my dog's vet many years ago and I swore I would never go back. He seemed not to care about my dog, but about money. I will keep them in mind though as an option, depending on my needs and to check them out. Right now I go to three different vets for my rats, depending on what I am going for and what they are best at. :lol:

What do they do for euthanasia at Kingswood?

I'm glad you feel they euth properly and I guess that's all that matters. As for me, I wouldn't let any of the 4 vets even touch my rodents never mind do my euth's. They "hide" many procedures including simple ones like drawing blood from big dogs with big veins, not something I like in a clinic. Next time your in, ask to see the chamber and see what they say. I started at this clinic approximately 4 years ago and my last visit was the end of May 2012, and honestly, nothing has changed there. (went twice with rats and never returned with any rodents) As for Kingsdale, yes 100% Dr Sowerby likes his money but he's "hard core, old school". He's not interested in talking to you or your pet, he just wants to look at the animal, find the problem and fix it, which he does, within minutes, everytime. Kingsdale is VERY costly, but the combo of the 2 current vets makes this practise exceptional. Dr Boultbee (just bought the practise) is young with all the up to date veterinary medicine and Dr Sowerby is old with many many years of hands on experience. Combine the two and you get superior animal care.
I too, have 3 different vets and who I visit depends on the issue and what animal requires the care so I understand where your coming from. But make no mistake, my home vet is still the best and on call for me 24/7. The best vet burns the biggest hole in my pocket which brings me back to......you get what you pay for. I highly recommend people do NOT go to Legallais for any exotic.

Back