Metacam Dose by Debbie Ducommun - posted with permission

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Metacam Dose by Debbie Ducommun

I have been doing some research on the best dose of Metacam for rats. The dose most vets prescribe for rats is too low. Metacam (generic name meloxicam) is an NSAID, and therefore works the same way as ibuprofen. The liquid sold by vets is for dogs, and since dogs do not metabolize NSAIDs well, the dog dose is very low (only 0.1 mg/lb). Rats metabolize NSAIDs very well, in fact, so well that the dose of ibuprofen for inflammation in rats is 60 mg/lb 2-4 times a day.

By comparing the human dose of ibuprofen to that for rats, and then looking at the human dose of meloxicam (which is 7.5 to 15 mg a day), it appears that the best dose of Metacam for rats is 1 to 2.25 mg/lb. Since the concentration of the Metacam liquid is 1.5 mg/ml, a 1-lb rat would need 0.6 to 1.5 ml. In addition, although meloxicam is only given once a day to humans and dogs, because the rat’s metabolism is so much higher, it needs to be given more often to rats. I recently talked with a rat owner giving Metacam to a rat with severe pain, and she reports that once a day was not often enough.

I still prefer to use 1-2 mg/kg as per the ratguide. The old recommended dosage used to be .2-.4 mg/kg and I find 1 mg/kg works just fine for pain or inflammation.

It likely depends on the type of pain.
If this is the only pain med the vet is willing to allow, then it is good to know it is safe to go higher if necessary.
Although if giving large amounts, it might be better to give something else like ibuprofen.

Back