Gmc - rip 7/21/14

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hubby took Clark in for his follow up last week and was having a brief review of the boys with the vet and she told him she was surprised GMC was still with us... WHAT?! :nohear: I didn't think she thought he was that bad or the tumor is that much of a concern..... I realize he has a permanent URI and breathes heavy, but he's adapted and the tumor hasn't changed since we noticed it... I don't know what to think of this - oh, and I know he an old man now too.... :?:

I figure their lifespans are so short I just prefer to take everything day by day. I've had rats I thought I'd have much longer and lost them much too soon. I've had ones I expected to last weeks who made it at least half a year more. In any case, I'm glad to hear that he's still alive and kicking. He certainly ended up in great hands. :)

A couple of weeks ago, I had my Louie put to sleep and necroed. He had a pituitary tumour about 1 cm big and it was compressing his brain. My vet couldn't believe that Louie was actually still eating and moving around. Rats can surprise us, but mostly vets... we know how resilient, strong and brave they are.

A couple of weeks ago, I had my Louie put to sleep and necroed. He had a pituitary tumour about 1 cm big and it was compressing his brain. My vet couldn't believe that Louie was actually still eating and moving around. Rats can surprise us, but mostly vets... we know how resilient, strong and brave they are.

Sorry for your loss. He has been losing weight I can tell when I pick him up, but he is still eating.

I might be losing my mind, but I think I'm seeing PT symptoms in GMC. Today I gave him a strawberry and all he did was lick it and my fingers. He seemed excited to have it, but no matter where he was he just licked it and I didn't see him pick it up. Yesterday we had them out on the floor of the rat room and he seemed to walk lower to the ground with his back legs spread further apart - I made the excuse that he was just sliding on the hard wood floor with his extremely long nails since on the towel he seemed to walk better.

Now that I think of it he was eating oxbow yesterday - alright that's good used his hands. He does seem to be more labored in his breathing these days, but there is no color changes or gasping, etc. Some head hanging, but he doesn't appear in any distress. Oh my poor boy - he is going to my sister's for the weekend w/Bumbles since he needs meds and we are going out of town. Grumpy and Axe will be going to my mom's she can handle meds with those two... GMC he is evil at med time the claws come out!

A couple days ago we had GMC and Bumbles out and GMC seemed to be leaned to his left side and dragging it around, almost as if he had a stroke and lost use of that side. He also had blood on his left front paw so I'm not ruling out that he might have fallen since he's been really unsteady these days. I've tried to make the cage as safe as possible, but I suppose its possible he could of fallen. Anyway, earlier today (around midnight) I had Bumbles out looking him over (he squeaks during this) and then I took GMC out for the same thing, which he hates (always has) and he started gasping for air (mildly). We gave him his theophylline and some metacam and truthfully, I hope he passes peacefully during the night. I'm up now checking on him and he seems to be resting comfortably - we will take him in Monday and have him pts, its time... Poor Bumbles will now be alone, but I'm afraid to intro him to anyone since he's become such a grumpy old man!

I'm very sorry to read the update. It never gets easier to have to make that call, and I too will be hoping that perhaps GMC will make it for you. You've given him a great life, that's so much more than many critters ever get.

It will be a tough call on Bumbles, in terms of another companion. I'm sure you'll make the right one. While most of my rats have eventually taken to a new friend, some have definitely shown amazing amounts of resistance and it's a hard thing to watch when that happens. In any case, Bumbles will have a wonderful human to pamper and love him.

<3

His daddy, cage mate Bumbles, and I said good bye to our sweet GMC around 12:30 today. He did not fight it and went very peacefully - rest well and play hard my precious boy! &#9829;&#9829; We love you!

I am so sorry about GMC :(

Going peacefully is the best way when it is their time:cry5:( many hugs )

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear your boy GMC has made the trek to the Bridge. Give Bumbles extra lovin's from us.
:hugs:

He seems very sad. We just cleaned the cage so hopefully that will cheer him up a bit. Hopefully in time he will except other rats. I think Peanut would make a good friend for him.

I'm sorry to see the news. It's been a long road filled with lots of love, treats and companion time. That's a beautiful life for a creature that so often gets overlooked and mistreated. I'm glad you were able to share that time with him.

Sending good vibes to Bumbles that he can take comfort from you during his loss. Sometimes I think they know the other is unwell, and sometimes that knowledge seems to help them through it. I hope you are able to take comfort in Bumbles as well. <3

Sending good vibes to Bumbles that he can take comfort from you during his loss. Sometimes I think they know the other is unwell, and sometimes that knowledge seems to help them through it. I hope you are able to take comfort in Bumbles as well. <3

Bumbles definitely knew his cage mate was sick he would always prop him up by letting him lay over him to help him breathe. He was still doing that right up until the end. We took him with us to the vet we find they don't get as depressed when they see their friends have past.

Back