Maggie is not doing well... first time at new vet.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moon

Maggie is not at all well. So we went to a new vet.

The good news:
1) I was reasonably happy with the new vet. She seemed quite knowledgeable and she was great with the girls despite their discomfort with being in the new place. You could see she really enjoyed seeing them. She seemed well informed and up to date, and was completely open about the fact that she's only done rat neuters and not spays.

2) She saw both Maggie and Emma, and only charged me for one examination. She was also just a tad cheaper than Dr. Munn, and was way WAY closer.

3) She examined Emma's lump, confirmed that it's not an absess but also probably not a tumour. She said she wasn't terribly concerned about it, and I've not been either... Emma has put on weight since finishing her meds, and is as happy as ever.... she's become spunkier, in fact.

4) Everyone's teeth are good.

5) Maggie has had a good couple of days, and I actually caught her eating something solid!

The bad news:

Maggie is so skinny, and having such trouble breathing. She doesn't seem to want to eat her lab blocks at all, or just about anything hard. She's getting tired and out of breath just from cleaning herself, so she's not the prettiest she's ever been, either. I've been feeding her ensure, baby cereal, & other extra inviting high protein softish foods.... but she continues to not gain any weight.

The vet thinks that Maggie has "an internal mass". It's restricting her breathing and sapping her strength, and the vet feels that's probably the main reason she's so skinny. And although she's still happy to see us, and has her spunky moments, you can tell she's just plain frail... picking her up is like picking up a china doll in a small furry outfit.

I could have done an xray, but the stress of the exam was causing Maggie massive stress and she started to gasp... and I didn't want her there any longer than entirely necessary.

We've been given Theolair... the vet says it helps open up the airway and helps them breathe. The good news is, it doesn't taste nearly as bad as the baytril or the doxy, so at least it will be easier to give.

I don't know what else we can do right now but try and keep Maggie comfortable, and keep her eating. If she'd just put on weight, I might feel like she's got a bit of a chance.

which vet did you go to? too bad dr.munn is moving, she would have known exactly what to do.

hope your girl gets better, soon!
eat up maggie!

Went to Dr. Selinger at Bridle Trail Vet Clinic in Unionville.

No antibiotics. I have to wonder if Maggie is well enough to take more antibiotics in her system, I know I don't feel well when I'm on them. And, Dr. Selinger was not terribly optomistic about Maggie doing any real "healing". Should I have pushed for antibiotics?

Normally I would not hesitate to go further for a vet. But like I said, the stress caused Maggie to gasp, and I can't imagine that a longer drive would help the situation. Plus, my car is on the fritz. What bad timing.

Olive oil is high with the good fat. This fat can kick start the rat's metabolism into making them gain muscle mass and not just get fat.

I hope she is able to gain some weight. Its so discouraging sometimes, but we keep on fighting the good fight and wanting to make sure they are comfortable no matter what.

Good luck to your girl, give her some scritches and a snuggle for me!

moon said:
Maggie is not at all well. So we went to a new vet.

The good news:
1) I was reasonably happy with the new vet. She seemed quite knowledgeable and she was great with the girls despite their discomfort with being in the new place. You could see she really enjoyed seeing them. She seemed well informed and up to date, and was completely open about the fact that she's only done rat neuters and not spays.

2) She saw both Maggie and Emma, and only charged me for one examination. She was also just a tad cheaper than Dr. Munn, and was way WAY closer.

3) She examined Emma's lump, confirmed that it's not an absess but also probably not a tumour. She said she wasn't terribly concerned about it, and I've not been either... Emma has put on weight since finishing her meds, and is as happy as ever.... she's become spunkier, in fact.

4) Everyone's teeth are good.

5) Maggie has had a good couple of days, and I actually caught her eating something solid!

The bad news:

Maggie is so skinny, and having such trouble breathing. She doesn't seem to want to eat her lab blocks at all, or just about anything hard. She's getting tired and out of breath just from cleaning herself, so she's not the prettiest she's ever been, either. I've been feeding her ensure, baby cereal, & other extra inviting high protein softish foods.... but she continues to not gain any weight.

The vet thinks that Maggie has "an internal mass". It's restricting her breathing and sapping her strength, and the vet feels that's probably the main reason she's so skinny. And although she's still happy to see us, and has her spunky moments, you can tell she's just plain frail... picking her up is like picking up a china doll in a small furry outfit.

I could have done an xray, but the stress of the exam was causing Maggie massive stress and she started to gasp... and I didn't want her there any longer than entirely necessary.

We've been given Theolair... the vet says it helps open up the airway and helps them breathe. The good news is, it doesn't taste nearly as bad as the baytril or the doxy, so at least it will be easier to give.

I don't know what else we can do right now but try and keep Maggie comfortable, and keep her eating. If she'd just put on weight, I might feel like she's got a bit of a chance.

Can you get your hands on an asthma inhaler? Here is a link to Debbie Ducummon's rathealth guide. There may be something in there which can help you with your little lady. http://ratfanclub.org/firstaid.html

Hang in there Moon. We are here for you with any support and advice we can provide. Be strong. Your little girl knows that you love her. :love6:

The vet did check for fluid in her lungs?
Sorry, prob. a stupid question but my rats have had that a lot from various problems such as heart disease. Hope you will be able to get an xray done as it may give valuable info re treatment.
Pred might help if inflamation is causing her diff breathing but you need an antibiotic with it and can not just stop taking it. Both would have to come from a vet.
My ill rats are willing to eat their lab blocks if I disolve the blocks in boiling water to make a mush and then let it cool down. Sometimes I mix some olive oil in with it.

all the best to you and Maggie

Thanks for all your warm thoughts, guys.

What a week. I am housesitting for the obedience trainer I work with. Normally, I would be able to bounce back and forth more between here and home to check on the girls, but my car is out of commission with the rear end almost completely removed. My fiancee is driving me around and doing his best with the ladies... Maggie receives her meds but he's doubtful that it's doing much. She is deteriorating overall, after a couple of days of upswing after being at the vet.... but weird things have arisen.

She wants to spend every moment outside her cage now. This coming from the girl who was always more than happy in her cage, hardly ever wanting to leave. Everyone in the house is taking turns having her shoulder ride... that's all she wants to do.

She IS eating.. but really really is not well. Mike and I are arguing about having her PTS. I don't want her to linger when she is obviously so unwell. He says he doesn't want to stress her, that she's happy even though she's sick and he thinks she'll just "fade away", but I think he's just having such trouble letting go. If he were to ever have a heart rat, Maggie would be it.. I think he's starting to yield. I think I will have to put my foot down... I am going to call the vet tomorrow, I'm afraid Mike will just have to deal with it.

Everything is just such bad timing. I want to be home with her, but I can't.

moon said:
Thanks for all your warm thoughts, guys.

What a week. I am housesitting for the obedience trainer I work with. Normally, I would be able to bounce back and forth more between here and home to check on the girls, but my car is out of commission with the rear end almost completely removed. My fiancee is driving me around and doing his best with the ladies... Maggie receives her meds but he's doubtful that it's doing much. She is deteriorating overall, after a couple of days of upswing after being at the vet.... but weird things have arisen.

She wants to spend every moment outside her cage now. This coming from the girl who was always more than happy in her cage, hardly ever wanting to leave. Everyone in the house is taking turns having her shoulder ride... that's all she wants to do.

She IS eating.. but really really is not well. Mike and I are arguing about having her PTS. I don't want her to linger when she is obviously so unwell. He says he doesn't want to stress her, that she's happy even though she's sick and he thinks she'll just "fade away", but I think he's just having such trouble letting go. If he were to ever have a heart rat, Maggie would be it.. I think he's starting to yield. I think I will have to put my foot down... I am going to call the vet tomorrow, I'm afraid Mike will just have to deal with it.

Everything is just such bad timing. I want to be home with her, but I can't.

Oh Moon, I don't know if I should be telling you this but I want you to be prepared.

Maggie may be enjoying her last days with you. In the few days before my little rat man, Jerry, died he did the same thing Maggie is doing. He wasn't sleeping when he was supposed to be and he wanted to be everywhere I was. He was exploring things in a way which was completely untypical for him. He was all over me; wanting to be on my shoulder, sitting on my lap on the couch, monitoring my actions (from my shoulder) in the kitchen and wanting to try every last thing I pulled out of the fridge.

It was like he had this sudden, unexplainable, energy. I actually harbored the hope that he was going to make it. 2 days later my baby was gone and I was absolutely devastated.

I am hoping to God that I am wrong in Maggie's case sweetie but I do not want you to suffer in the same way I did, when I lost Jerry, after thinking that he might pull through. I want you to be aware of the possibilities surrounding Maggie's behavior and make sure that you and your fiancee cater to Maggie's every little wish as best you can.

She loves you and, if it her time to take up residence over the Rainbow Bridge, she will do so carrying her little suitcase filled to the brim of the love she knows you feel for her. She will thrive on that. :rose:

Like I said, I am praying that I am wrong

Actually I agree with Jennifer. The rats that are very bonded to me, often want Out with Me (not Out in general) all the time when they are going to leave me (either my decision or their own time). They seem better because they are at peace or something like that.

It sounds like its almost time for your sweet girl. I am sorry Ashley. :(

lilspaz68 said:
Actually I agree with Jennifer. The rats that are very bonded to me, often want Out with Me (not Out in general) all the time when they are going to leave me (either my decision or their own time). They seem better because they are at peace or something like that.

It sounds like its almost time for your sweet girl. I am sorry Ashley. :(

Sadly, I have to agree. I'm sorry to hear your little girl isn't responding the meds well. Give her lots of extra kisses and scritches from all of us here.

Jen

Back