Radar behaviour and pics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They always forgive...:roll:

He looks great Jo, nice incision! I wonder when you will see a difference in his behaviour or if only the other rats will be able to sense it?

He's one tough guy. He's been wanting out of his cage since about 2 hours after getting home from the surgery. He took that little snooze and that was it. He was right back to climbing the cage bars and chewing on them.
I didn't take the poor pitiful prisoner out yesterday, I wanted him to have a full day of rest but I don't have a choice today. He's just going bananas cooped up in his cage. That's a good sign though, means he's completely all right. :D

jorats said:
He's one tough guy. He's been wanting out of his cage since about 2 hours after getting home from the surgery. He took that little snooze and that was it. He was right back to climbing the cage bars and chewing on them.
I didn't take the poor pitiful prisoner out yesterday, I wanted him to have a full day of rest but I don't have a choice today. He's just going bananas cooped up in his cage. That's a good sign though, means he's completely all right. :D

Let's hope his hormone levels start bottoming out soon!!!

It's been 3.5 weeks and I decided to try an intro with Radar and the old/big crew.
Didn't work out. :(
Radar stressed right out, freaked and attacked, even went after my finger, luckily I was fast and didn't get a bad bite, just a bit of a deep scrape.
I can't put my old crew through this stress. Radar is going to have to stay alone for a bit longer. I'll have to rethink my strategy. :roll:

Oh Radar...
Has it been 3.5 weeks since right after his neuter?
I tried intros 6 weeks after Irwin's neuter and it still wasn't successful. My vet told me it can take up to eight weeks for the hormone change to kick in.

There HAS to be a way, I hate to think of that cutie alone.

What if you... I dunno... put them in an enclosed area with a tight fitting peice of plexi glass in between, and FORCED Radar to get used to them being right there, without being able to touch them?

My main problem is the old guys, they got so stressed out by Radar's reaction and over powering emotions that I can't risk sending one of them into a myco flare up.
But... I'm thinking that what I may do, close up my triple FN, give the 12 old guys the two part FN and let Radar have the bottom level FN... and... and, maybe get him a girlie. :D

Does your mom or Nic have any "bulletproof" rats that could do a plexi meeting?

(bulletproof is a term we use with dogs that are useful in behavioral modification with aggressive dogs. They can take an onslaught of bad manners, postures, and even attacks without getting a hair out of place)

A cage split sounds like a good idea.

Ah... I see what you mean. I don't think it would work cause for the past couple of weeks, I've allowed Radar to meet the guys through the cage bars and he's still gets all whacked out.

My thinking is that, through the cage they're still vulnerable, but with a solid barrier that he can see through he can get as whacked out as he wants and you don't have to worry about any injury.... then you might actually be able to give him enough time to get over it.
I just grasp at straws because he's such a cutie and no one likes a lonely rat. I hate that Emma wont be friendly to Maeby and Lucille in cage yet.... at least they're all fine together during out time.

moon said:
My thinking is that, through the cage they're still vulnerable, but with a solid barrier that he can see through he can get as whacked out as he wants and you don't have to worry about any injury.... then you might actually be able to give him enough time to get over it.
I just grasp at straws because he's such a cutie and no one likes a lonely rat. I hate that Emma wont be friendly to Maeby and Lucille in cage yet.... at least they're all fine together during out time.

I might try that. I am very nervous when I allow them visits through cage bars. What about a screen? I'll put a screen so there's no touching at all, leave it on permanent so they can always see and smell each other.
That's a really good idea, thanks moon!!!
Oh, also, did some reading, and it can take up to 3 months before the neuter takes effect. So there's still hope!!!

Good for Radar!!!

Yeah I think Moon's idea is a good one. You know how territorial rats get in/outside of someone's cage. Maybe having the barrier between them might work out eventually :D

moon said:
There HAS to be a way, I hate to think of that cutie alone.
Geez, I'm sorry it's not going easier with Radar. But there's always hope, and it sounds like he hasn't reached the end of the apres-neuter hormone change yet.

But I gotta say, I don't agree that all rats want or need rattie company if you can make up for the lack of stimulation.

You know how you all weren't supposed to disagree with certain 'rules' the site boss held on RMCA? I know Jo isn't such a martinet and allows opinions even if she disgrees.

I think no rattie should be alone if you can't give them enough individual time, which fairly you can't if you have a whole lot of them. So I'm behind you Jo in your efforts and sure hope Radar can mellow out and fit in so he has company.

But I have had a couple ratties that I didn't force to be with company (both out of respect for their wants, and fear of injuries to them or others) when they totally rejected it, and they lived alone but with much time with me, and they were as happy as any of mine that lived in a group.

I guess being a hermit myself I think that while both people and ratties are social creatures I can understand that the odd one is different. I still need interaction even if I don't want to live - or spend much time physically - with other people. I'm happy with people-time on the 'net, and physical time with my ratties, and I truly believe the odd one ishappier with lots of freedom to roam and physical time just with me.

Just my 2 cents.

Fidget, I have 2 lone girls right now. I have Moth who has been integrated into 2 groups, but she ended up bullying the others badly. She would take a dislike to one rat and the others would be sooo stressed from all the chasing and screeching, etc, that for the sake of the colony I removed her. Weirdly she seemed much more relaxed on her own, and she was allowed out at night for a few hours so she was okay. But our "training" kicks in and I re-introduced her to a similar group with the same sweet alpha as the first group. She never decided on a victim and they lived happily until the alpha and then the next alpha passed. I was hoping she would take to the subbie but it became Hunting Season again. :(

She is on her own again, my Mothra, and seems happiest. She never quite knew how to act around other rats and would get anxious and overreact. Plus she is the girl who has caused a lot of blood to be spilled until I just couldn't try her with anyone anymore.

She is 30 months old and happy and healthy on her own.

The other is Kamea. Kamea is also anxious about rats but I think since she's young she just needs some time to get used to things here, and I will eventually get her into a group. :)

I still absolutely HATE lone rats and would prefer to have them in a group, but sometimes the rat says "no thanks".

I am hoping Radar is just chock full of hormones now and needs to settle some more.
Jo, have you thought about something herbal to settle his anxiety?

Back