Maisie and Tilly are Home with pictures of the whole family

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

My little Maisie and Tilly went in today and were spayed....They seem to have come through great...Both were glad to see me....licking my fingers. The girls at the desk said they were the sweetest girls........ :heart:
I will take some pictures later......They ate a bit of ceral and drank water on the way home.........They don't seem to be to uncomfortable.
I'm so glad we are home safe and sound.....5 more to go.....

I was scared to death when I took them in. Everyone at the clinic was very nice...Thought the girls were so cute....even cuter then their brothers (of course that is a matter of opinion......I'm very smitten with my boy squishes :wink: ) All I could picture where their little bellies being cut open....but I just kept repeating to myself "it is better for them, hopefully it will help them be healthier" I was so glad to see them when I picked them up.....they seem like they are doing good. Maisie gave me kisses and Tilly came right over and laid her head under my fingers and closed her eyes while I stroked it.....poor little sweeties.....

I can believe it....my poor hubby said...."remember we need to get work done to our van....you have to budget me out a little money" Poor guy I almost felt bad for him.......

I know you love all the new babies but it sure is expensive with all those spays and neuters.....

When hubby was telling me that it was costing us too much, I reminded him how he would feel if his new golf clubs suddenly gave birth to tiny little golf clubs, wouldn't he want them taken care of? :laugh4:

I'm so happy that Maisie and Tilly have got through their surgery safely!! Kisses to them both :heart:

It really is agony waiting for surgery to be over. Not to mention the agony of tallying up the cost. My husband once asked, "Exactly how much are we spending on these animals?", but that was long ago. He is very attached to them now, but he has given up hoping that I will stop spending on them.

Yahoo for Maisie and Tilly... maybe they can tell their sisters it wasn't TOO bad.

I gave them hugs and kisses from their Rat Shack family......they actually seem to be doing even better then the boys did and I thought they did great.....They don't look a bit uncomfortable. The incisions look really great.....not a bit red or sore looking....

Here is Maisie incision....it looks great. Tilly's picture came out blurry but it looks almost as good...A bit of an opening in the middle but not red.
new579.jpg

I gave Maisie and Tilly some ceral this morning but of course they had to share with everyone else....... :wink:

Dozer enjoying his treat
new582.jpg

Dozer (in front) Tilly and Honey and Hazel enjoying the snack
new583.jpg

Jacob, Jaydan (eating) and Hazel and Honey
new590.jpg

Jaydon couldn't wait to get to the bowl. He jumped in with his front feet...his back feet are still on the ladder :laugh4:
new591-1.jpg

Tilly enjoying her breakfast
new592.jpg

new595.jpg

Little Maisie feeling great
new597.jpg

My beautiful Angel....
new598.jpg

It got pretty messy...poor Tilly...... Angel splattered it all over her face..
new599.jpg

Hahaha I just love "dirty" pictures. And Jaydon hanging on to the ladder, too funny.

Her incision looks great. I really think the benefits outweigh the risks. I didn't have one mammary tumor since all my girls are spayed. Well, Jevy did, but he's a man. lol

I was very pleased with the incisions.....Tilly's has a little spot in the middle that is open and a bit crusty but not red or seeping. They don't even seem to be moving slowly. The boys walked a bit gingerly for a few days but the girls are back to normal.

I'm a bit disappointed in all the negative comments of been getting from my friends....even my animal friends think I'm nuts for getting the girls spayed. The understood the boys so we wouldn't have babies but they think I'm being wasteful having the girls done. Spending so much money on pets that only live 2 years is the comment I'm getting a lot. We, like probably many people on here, live month to month. They seem to think I am wasting money when I should be saving it or using it more wisely............
I do feel a bit guilty about spending so much money ( I always feel guilty about spending money) but these rats mean so much to me......If I don't have them done I will feel I didn't do everything I could to care for them....
How does everyone else feel about this?

My response to that when similar things has been said to me is twofold:

1) spaying is preventave health care which I believe is my responsibility as a pet owner, if I can find the money. I would rather have a healthy young girl go through surgery than an older, ill rattie.

2) There is an extremely high likelyhood that rescuses I adopt will develop mammory tumors (the incidence rate is extremely high and rescues usually have a poor genetic background) ... Plus, with 12 breasts, it is likely that they will not have just one, but multiple tumors requiring multiple surgeries. It is more expensive to have even one tumor surgery done, than to have a spay done. By spaying my girls I drastically decrease their chances of having mammory tumors. So, spaying my girls is saving money!

They look great! What sweeties your ratties are. I love the photos of them eating their cereal and making a mess. Makes me feel at home (I am out of town tonight for a work conference, missing my ratties and my sister who went home this morning)

As for people's comments, well, if you tell them what SQ suggested it might open their eyes. But some people are just too quick to jump in with criticism about how others spend money.

Hey, you could tell them "Yes, I see what you mean. Now that I have rats I can't afford cigarettes, scratch tickets, or cocaine any more"

Back