Luke & Sarah - POST OP Details

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Rats

Finally took them to their vet today. He told me that they both had a mammary tumor. Luke's is on his hip area & Sarah's on belly. I was quoted $250 (max) total for both. I feel that's fair. He said that Sarah's will be very easy but Luke's will be more time consuming because there are a few blood vessels he has to be very careful with. Luke's MT is much larger than his sister's. Dec 26th is the date of surgery. Now I have to come up with the money:eek:mg2:. I was told that these MTs can grow for a while & then they stop but then some never stop. They use gas to keep them under during the procedure & they awake in about 5 minutes afterwards.
Last night I took these pics because I was not sure if I would get bad news today. It will be a much happier Christmas with them here !

Sarah in the foreground w/ sister Tierza behind her. Lukie in the 2nd pic.

thank you ladies!

Has anyone had a mammary tumor removed from their babies ?
This w/b my first rattie surgery to go through :?

We have had dozens removed with good results. I would say one a month at least sometmes more. We have more rats than normal :)

I am on my way now to go pick up my babies from their mammary tumor removal surgery.

Am excited to have the huge growths off of them. I told the vet I wanted pics of what was removed or to save & I would take pics when I got there.
Details to come. Can't wait to get them home

They did very well ! I saw the pics Dr. Bobby took & he is supposed to be emailing them to me sometime this weekend. I swear, they must be the 2 "cleanest" pictures of tumors I have ever seen! I think that is the way he wanted them to be presented because I told him that I was going to post them on a forum.
Sarah's MT was considered medium size and is a nice pinkish color. She did not have to lose any skin. Her incision is probably less than an inch long.
Lukes's was considered large and the pic he took of it shows the side that has his outer skin on it, with the tumor part underneath. He said it had a lot of veins, as he had to tie off several. So luke ended up losing a patch of skin & his incision is about I would say 3 inches. I will take pics of their incisions tomorrow so I can post w/ the MT removals. They are resting comfortably now after taking their pain meds. They were both eating on the car ride home as if nothing happened:p. I have Luke in a cage by himself as he has a brother, Moses that just irritates the hell out of him & his other brother quite frequently. Moses likes to go up to them and butt bump them and it kinda knocks them around. Sarah is in w/ her 2 sisters . They don't have issues. So glad all went well today!

I would separate both from their friends for a day so to be on the safr side. Glad everything went well. Healing vibes from all of us!

Well - I am still waiting on Dr. Bobby to email me the surgery pics.
But here are pics of the stitches. First one is Sarah - very small incision. And then her brother Luke - a much larger one. They are both doing well.

Those actually look really good. Not so sure I would of separated Sarah other than to give her a peaceful night. How are they doing now? Bet Luke feels much better not having that big thing attached to him..

They are both doing real good. Luke seems to like being by himself & appears to be content with him & I interacting vs his brothers.
As I mentioned in a previous - He has a real JERK of a brother Moses. As Mo gets older he is getting very "gouchey". He aggrevates the other 2 a lot. I am seriously thinking about letting Mo live alone along side his brother's cage. That way Luke & Matthew can be put together once he heals a bit more. What do you think? Thre is never any biting or bloodshed, Mo just literally pushes them around. No matter where they are laying, he will come & take that spot! Is this just a rat thing & I should not worry about it?

I am still waiting on the vet's email of the surgery pics. I will remind him Monday :xmasrud:

No, not anytime soon. He is about to turn 2......is he experiencing late life testosterone crap or what!? I kinda feel like at his age maybe I should not.

He's sweet as can be with me, but a total a-hole to his brothers. I don't even think they understand what his problem is LoL!

Back