Recipes

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

Hey All, I was thinking we could start a thread of our favourite recipies. This comes from a girl that is OBSESSED with recipies. I got a whole box full of recipe books for free. I love Canadian Living for the recipes... Yes "Hi my name is Lea-Andra, and I have a problem..." LOL Anyways I am always on the look out for new ones.

I'll start. I choose this one because this is my potluck thing to bring and everytime I take it to a potluck people always ask me how to make it.

Simple and Awesome Spinach Dip

1 container of sour cream
1 tub of cream cheese (I use the spreadable one it's easier to mix)
1 package of vegetable soup mix
chopped fresh spinach to desired quantity (I never measure this one I just chop some up)

Take out cream cheese out of fridge for 15-30 min.
Mix together sour cream and cream cheese
Mix in soup mix
add in chopped spinach
chill in fridge

I find it best if you make it a few hours ahead.

Oooh, I love spinach dip!
Definitely be trying that one!

Here's some really easy salad dressing, and it is SO yummy.
3 tbs. red wine vinegar
2 tbs. olive oil
2 tsps. minced garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8tsp. pepper

combine, refrigerate until needed, then stir again. Goes really well with any mixed salad.

And here's my favorite recipe.
Maple Teriaky (spelling?!) Salmon

In a measuring cup, add
One clove garlic
One shallot
about 1/2 cup of real maple syrup (or more, I just eyeball it)
A generous squeeze of honey
about a teaspoon or a teaspoon and a half of soy sauce
A little splash of olive oil

put a filet of salmon in a zip-lock bag, pour in marinade, combine it all well, and refrigerate for half an hour.
Put the oven on broil, take the fish out of the marinade, and broil the salmon on a baking sheet lined with foil.
Ready when the marinade is all caramalized and darkened, edges are crispy, and meat is flakey.
Serve with steamed asparagus topped with a little butter and salt, and rice.
Mmmmmmmm........

Sweet! Keep em coming. I'm getting really bored with my regular dinners.
I've got no original yummy recipes... I gotta get Ric on here, he'll love the section. His hobby is cooking. :thumbup:

Working in a kitchen really helps with really quick and easy recipes.
Heres some that Mike loves!!
Lime Crema
3 oz lime juice
2 tsp salt
16 oz sour cream
Whisk together lime juice and salt till dissolved, add sour cream and mix.

Bruschetta Mix
5 diced tomatoes
1 green pepper diced
1/2 white onion diced
1 oz chives
1 oz cilantro
1 oz basil
1 tbsp salt
1 oz parsley (dried or fresh)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 oz canola oil

Mix and serve on pita or italian bread

And my favourite salad
Spring Mix tossed in a citrus vinaigrette
topped with 1/2 a pear, dried cranberries and sunflower seeds

Open a package of Uncle Ben's Fast & Fancy rice. Toss most of the flavoring stuff in the garbage and cook using just a bit. When it's done put it in a strainer and run under tap water (cold if the weather is hot, hot if the weather is cold). Chop fresh veggies while it cooks.
Share it with Savanna even tho she has the very same thing in her bowl cause she thinks food tastes better shared, and she's right.

Please add to this when you think of any simple ones :D I have zero interest in cooking but really have to step it up in terms of eating properly (ie. enough) and these look great!

LAZY LASAGNE
Put a can of chili in a pot with a can of mushrooms and a container of cottage cheese. Heat. Mix with cooked lasagne noodles.
====================
PAPRIKA CHICKEN (oven & stovetop)
(For about 16 pieces or less) (it freezes good)

Turn oven to 425 degrees.
Put chicken pieces in roaster. (you can brown it if you want, I'm too lazy)
Add vegetables in small chunks, you can play around with what you have, carrots, cauliflower, etc, but I alway use:
1 c. onion, 1 c. celery, broccoli, some parsley.
Mix 1 can chicken broth, 1 1/2 cans water, 5 1/2 tblsp (yup, I use a lot, you could use less) paprika, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1 tsp pepper.
Pour over chicken.
Cook 425 degrees for 1 hour.
When done, remove chicken (you can keep it warm in oven if you want), add frozen peas.
Bring to boil then turn heat down.
Whisk together 1 c. sour cream & 4 tblsp. flour. Add to sauce.
Simmer and stir til thickened.
Add water if you want more sauce.
Add 2 chopped tomatoes. Heat.
Put chicken back in.
Serve over rice.

My favorite recipe of all times is my mom's crockpot pot roast. It's definately winter time comfort food.

1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of cream of potato soup
1 can of cream of celery soup
1 can of french onion soup
1 large pot roast (I usually use chuck)
misc veggies to fit: I usually use potatos, carrots, onions, and garlic

Brown the roast in a touch of oil and a very hot pan. Add to crock pot (on low) the night before you intend to eat. The next morning add the misc veggies. I add as many as will fit and still be covered by the liquid. It will be fall off the bone tender by dinner time. I usually serve it with either rice or mashed potatos. It is delicious and the leftovers are even better. mmmm. Now I'm hungy.....

I got another one for ya guys.
here's my favorite chili recipe, I grew up on this stuff. MMMmmm...

2 cans kidney beans
2 cans black beans
1 or 2 pounds ground beef, depending on how meaty you like it. Chicken would work too. Vegetarians can skip the meat and just add your fave veggies or meat substitute.
4 cans of crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
2 to 3 cups of frozen corn
1small to medium red onion
1 bell pepper
*secret ingredients*
A generous pour of maple syrup
About 1/4 cup ketchup
A good squirt of honey
*and the not so secret ingredient*
Chili powder to taste. Start small and keep tasting it till desired spiceyness.

In a BIG pot, brown your meat first
Drain the excess liquid out of the beans, then toss em in.
Add crushed tomatoes.
Add corn.
Chop onion and pepper, add them too.
Throw the rest of the ingredients into the pot.
Set your burner on low setting.
Here's the thing.... this chili tastes best when its simmered for hours. I usually simmer it for 7 hours or longer. All the ingredients need to meld together before it tastes its best.
So make sure you have all day for this.
And it makes a lot. Oh so perfect for that before-paycheck-week-I-have-no-food.
Enjoy! Don't forget to make cornbread to go with it.

Edited to add;
let it cool first if your going to throw the whole pot of leftovers in the fridge. If the hot pot goes in the fridge it will warm it and everything will go bad, including the chili.

Mmm, some of these sound so good. I think I'll have to go shopping for ingredients later in the week. I have some recipes around here I really like, mostly cookies and cake though :lol:

OK gonna share this one, it's an old family recipe I think from the depression but damn it's good! Everyone goes nuts when my grandmother makes it, because for some reason, I swear my moms' tastes better than when I make it, but Grandmoms' tastes better than when mom makes it!!

You will need:
1 can campbell's condensed tomato soup
milk approx one can equivalent to soup can
1 - 12 oz block of cheese Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar is good
1/2 pound box pasta
baking pan or casserole dish

Cook:
pasta (macaroni) - boil pasta as directed on box

While prepping pasta, shred or cut the cheese up and combine cheese, tomato soup, 1 can milk in saucepan over medium heat. Continue stirring this mixture until the cheese is melted, turn off heat.

Preheat oven to 350 F

When pasta is finished cooking, drain pasta and combine pasta and melted cheese mixture in baking pan. You can sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top for some extra crunch. Bake until bubble, about 30 minutes.

You can change the ingredients as you want, more cheese is yummy, I always play with it and have also tried adding tomatoes and stuff like that but it is yummy the "normal" way too!

ENJOY

Hey Mamarat2 I just made that for dinner tonight and it was delish! I followed the recipe and then put extra cheddar on top so it was all crusty and melty and yummy. Lots of fresh gound pepper. mmmmm.

papercrow said:
Hey Mamarat2 I just made that for dinner tonight and it was delish! I followed the recipe and then put extra cheddar on top so it was all crusty and melty and yummy. Lots of fresh gound pepper. mmmmm.

I'm glad you liked it!! I was thinking about making it last night, but it's a bit hot here weather wise (100F today) so no.

The great thing about that recipe is that its normally stuff that is in my pantry, the pasta, the soup and usually have some type of cheddar in the fridge, also usually seems to be quite the crowd pleaser!!

Anyone have any summer recipes that are easy to whip up but maybe you don't need the turn the stove/oven on? I'm leaning towards sandwiches of some sort tonight.

Something really simple to make that I absolutely love are Chicken Salad Wraps.

Lettuce
Chicken breast cut into cubes
Crutons
Cherry Tomatoes
Ceasar Salad Dressing
Wraps

I just add butter to a frying pan and cook the chicken pieces until they are done. Cool them off in the fridge, and mix the salad together with the chicken. Put salad in middle of wrap, roll, add toothpicks and serve :lol: Of course, the salad can be adjusted to fit your taste, like adding red onions or something.. but I like it simple. :)

Back