How would it feel...caution long post...Now with Pics pg2

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here she is the fat girl...
Darcy We now call her CC (chub chub) approx 1yr old weight 732g
I cannot even pick her up with one hand!
100_3538.jpg

next to pop bottle for comparison
100_3537.jpg

big butt!
100_3536.jpg

This is her cage mate Zoey approx 1yr weight around 450-480g (forget)
100_3542.jpg

100_3543.jpg

I consider Zoey about a normal size for adult female.

Weighed Jack and Sawer (Lindsayfawn / Godmother's boys) they don't even weight as much as Darcy!

She is still active and alert... eyes nose and ears clear...she allows you to hold her and feel her tummy not too much protest...no fluid or puss leaking from her girl parts, not smelly...eating and drinking and LOVES food!

Holycrap that's a fat rat.

I agree, I don't think she's pregnant...preggo rats in my experience carry their weight just in the belly...those big ol' rat hips seem just fat to me. Wonder about her heart, though...could CHF present that way?

I was just wondering as the bulge isn't as low as it may be if she was preggers (as people said in chat too), is it possible there's some kind of tumour or something wrong going on inside her? She just doesn't look right.

From everything I've heard from you I'd believe him. Just my *truth-read* on what I've heard. But I don't have to suffer the consequences. I hope he's one of the good honest guys.

Rachael said:
I was just wondering as the bulge isn't as low as it may be if she was preggers (as people said in chat too), is it possible there's some kind of tumour or something wrong going on inside her? She just doesn't look right.
Now that's an awful thought, but I'd be more believing of this than that guy is lying to you....
Forgive me jems - I hope she's prego rather than sick. I guess you agree. Hug to you for being in a tough situation.

Anyone who reads this could join me in sincere prayers that she's just FAT (screw politically correct at this point)

But I wouldn't call her just a fat rat. It looks like she is either pregnant... or something worse. :( And she isn't, although the right size, the right "shape" to be preggers.

If she's squishy-feeling as I believe was said earlier, I doubt it's an internal tumor or anything. I'm pretty sure that those would feel more solid/bloated.

So it's pretty obvious that only a vet can settle the question. That sounds horribly like a demand on you, I guess it is. I'm sorry you're in this position, and hope that you can do it for her without hurting yourself. I've been there.
You're in my prayers for her wellbeing, and your ability to still pay your bills & eat & celebrate her having a long life loving you

The more I talk to previous owner the more I think and hope she is just FAT! Doubt its preggo...
Sorry for anyone that takes offence...but I hope this is it and a diet of good food and not cookies will help...thank you all for imput...hope to see the vet Tues/Wed and hope she is jst chunky...
Now to her cage mate Zoey...high white? Her markings concern me?

Wow, over 700 grams is huge for a female. Sounds like that diet of nightly snacks with the guy's grandson has not done her any favours! But you will feel more at ease after checking with your vet.

I once had a rat who suddenly gained a lot of weight. I never did figure out why. He was fed the same as the others, but obviously ate more than his fair share.

wow I can't get over that is a girl that big wow! Though when I first saw the pic I have a sneaking feeling there may be a tumor in there but the vet will know for sure 'cause they can feel them. Hopefully she is just fat and ahealthy diet will help.

She's so cute! I agree she's huge - she's actually the same weight (give or take 10 grams) as my largest male. I think she just looks squishy.. give her kisses.

Jems71 said:
The more I talk to previous owner the more I think and hope she is just FAT! Doubt its preggo...
Sorry for anyone that takes offence...but I hope this is it and a diet of good food and not cookies will help...thank you all for imput...hope to see the vet Tues/Wed and hope she is jst chunky...

High white markings are a concern with young rats because the genetic mutation is associated with Megacolon (aka MC). Not all high whites have MC and it is extremely unlikely that a rat older than a year will start showing symptoms. (If you were a breeder, which I know you are not, you should not breed them, their parents, or siblings because they may carry the gene.) See this thread for more info... viewtopic.php?f=26&t=175

victoria said:
Jems71 said:

High white markings are a concern with young rats because the genetic mutation is associated with Megacolon (aka MC). Not all high whites have MC and it is extremely unlikely that a rat older than a year will start showing symptoms. (If you were a breeder, which I know you are not, you should not breed them, their parents, or siblings because they may carry the gene.) See this thread for more info... viewtopic.php?f=26&t=175

I have read over many posts and articles linked here on high white...and I cannot deside if she fits these markings...I think because the spot on her head and half of her lower face is white...pretty little girl but her markings look odd from what I can tell...but I still cannot wrap my head around high white markings...haha!

Can you show us a picture? Unusual white markings on the head and face are usually high white, but if you're not sure someone here would probably be able to tell if she is or not.

Back