14 Ratties (& me) now have a home in Halifax, NS

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Looking for a place to live in Halifax for 15 / now 16 ratties and their human slave (ME!!).
Very discouraging so far :(

Outright refusals when my cute little "Siberian hamsters" are mentioned .... and it does come up as we can only afford shared accommodations.

Any ideas??

Does anyone know any rat friendly places in Halifax?

thanks,
Holly, Lyman, Adam, Noah, Monroe, Jonathan, David, Charlotte, Marsha, Noelle, Leah, Ruthie, Samuel, Boaz, Joseph, & Mark & Ralphie

Is there a law protecting you like it would in Ontario to own pets? I just sneaked in the animals one by one and I don't think they figured it out until months and months later.

Still looking for a place to live...
Been to Nova Scotia twice so far to look for a place ... checking the paper and the internet.
Keeping my fingers crossed ...
If I could afford my own place I wouldn't need to say anything if pets were allowed in the building or could ask if they allowed cage pets like a hamster.
But I am looking to share accommodations so need to be upfront about the ratties ... I think they would notice 16 ratties (Ralphie is being returned as his adoption isn't working out :( )

That's so crappy. :(
I wonder what kind of damage landlords really think rats are capable of? Granted, my rats destroyed part of a wall, but that was my own fault . But after all, isn't that what damage deposits are for, lol.
I hope your search comes to a good end soon, SQ.

ratamataz said:
I wonder what kind of damage landlords really think rats are capable of?

These are the reasons I've been given by past landlords: Chewed carpets, pee in the carpets, pee on the wall, holes in walls, smell of rats lingering in the hallway, AND rats being left behind when tenants move out.

I'm sad to hear the you can't find a place yet SQ :tearful:

Well, I have now been to NS to look for a place three times ... still homeless for Sept ... hopefully the 4th time will be a charm ... driving back in a couple of days to contine looking.

Last weekend Godmother and I went to NS to look for a place for me and the ratties ... took Lyman, Noah, and Monroe along as Lyman is on several meds and the other two were for company for him. They took the two day trip in stride. They were wonderful ambassadors. Quite a few people got to meet them and they changed their minds about ratties. :)

Returned at 3 am from my 4th trip to Halifax to look for a place to live.
The best place I found was a one bedroom apartment, newly redone, for $500 a month. Electricity, phone, & internet extra. It was beautiful ...

But there are a few concerns ...
- not in a really bad area but not a great area either, area is kind of run down ...
- a bit too expensive but can't find anything better
- it is a basement apartment with large windows - 8 foot wide window in living room - so it would be easy for someone to break into.
- it is at the end of a very very long hallway and has no other apartments anywhere near it ... very, very isolated with furnace room etc. between it and other apartments.
- the building was fire bombed. The police have no idea who did it. The bottle was thrown from the parking lot through 2 panes of glass. On the wall of the hallway, approaching the apartment, you can see where the bottle hit the wall before smashing onto the floor and setting the place on fire. Fortunately, the sprinkler system put out the fire before it did any real damage .. tho the hallway was flooded. The 20 something year old man (assistant superintendent) who showed me the apartment was uncomfortable (afraid) when walking down the hallway.

godmother says I should sign the lease before someone snaps it up and we can figure out the security problems.

Linda suggests that it sounds too dangerous, especially for a woman living alone.

What do you think?
New home for me and the ratties?

it really is a very nice apartment, seems like some nice people live on the second floor ... oh, some people are moving out because of the firebombing but I as told that nothing like this has happened there before in the year that the people have lived there. ... just in a scary place

I am thinking of not going to university and asking for my acceptance into the masters program to be delayed a year because I can not find a place to live.

Any ideas?

Personally, I'd go with Godmother. It doesn't sound ideal for a woman living alone, no, but if you're desperate and you're putting your education on hold it may be worth a year of living there. What's the lease like? Can you give 60 days notice if you find something better?

It has a twelve month lease ...

Would a security alarm help? How expensive are they?

Worried about possible damage to the car I will have to get a bank loan to get too ... required to have a car for this 24 month program because of (unpaid) work placements.

Have tried for a couple of months to find an apartment, shared accomodations, etc. No luck. Either the places are not suitable or people are not ok about the ratties :(

I'm not sure what I'd do :/ A security alarm would sure help with peace of mind though I'm not clear on cost. Thing is, you may grow to feel quite at home there but I'm a little apprehensive about you going to live at a place you're really worried about. It's going to be your home...is it the only option?

Also, I should add, I felt really creeped out by my first place but grew to like it quite a bit. I never warmed to it fully though so my housemates and I moved after the lease was up. A year is a long time though. I think it's a matter of setting priorities in terms of what's important here and now. Maybe putting your Master's on hold for a year is worth it!

Back